Walk in the door of OPTIK Birmingham, you quickly notice this is no ordinary optical shop. Instead of the usual point-of-purchase banners, there are vintage display cabinets, fine art on the walls, and an authentic 1960’s capiz shell chandelier glowing mid-shop. These all evoke an immediate sense of curiosity. Quite simply, it’s a special environment you’re drawn to explore.
Owner, Dr. Joseph Ales, acquired an existing practice in June 2001, and his creativity and artistic sensibility have been integral to OPTIK Birmingham’s continued growth and local and national recognition. In July 2005, OPTIK Birmingham was listed in the national section of fashion magazine, Lucky, as one of it’s three favorite boutiques in the U.S. to find vintage eyewear.
A “one of a kind” theme is pervasive in OPTIK. You’ll see 1970’s Emilio Pucci sunglasses, Rebajes broaches, Jakob Bengel necklaces, and exclusive contemporary luxury frame lines, and OPTIK’s own line. At any given time, OPTIK has 5 or 6 frame lines you won’t find anywhere else in Michigan. One in particular, Tipton Vinylize, uses actual vinyl records as a last outer layer; which adds a special texture. It’s edgy, but quite wearable.
Mixed merchandising, one-off pieces, and a special atmosphere, created media interest, have made a magnificent impact on the growth of OPTIK. Dr. Ales feels his formula for success is a simple one.
At Optik, we have a great selection of one-of-a-kind vintage frames to suit your every style and mood. Our ever-evolving Hindsight Collection includes over a thousand original one-off’s for you to peruse and choose from.
You’ll find frames of all shapes including cat eye, round, P3, and drill-mounted rimless. Vintage frames are constructed from materials such as zyl (ophthalmic plastic), aluminum and even gold! Looking for a particular decade? We’ve got you covered with unique frames from the 1920s through the 1990s. We feature iconic designer brands like Emilio Pucci, Pierre Cardin, Georgio Armani, Christian Dior, and Ralph Lauren. We also carry Ray Ban, American Optical, Tura, Vuarnet and Cazal.
Dr. Ales will help find the perfect prescription for your needs. Conscious of the growing presbyopic population (those requiring reading glasses) and for astigmatism prescriptions, Dr. Ales will take the necessary time and contact lens “trialing” required to find the right combination just for you.
Types of contacts
- Astigmatism (Toric)
- Astigmatism / Bifocal
- Bifocal contacts
- Extended Wear
- 1 Day Contact Lenses
- Gas Permeable
- Cosmetic Tinted Lenses
- Contact Lenses for people who thought they could never wear them again due to dryness, or other discomfort, or due to significant prescriptions.
A FEW OF OUR BRANDS
A Contemporary Eye Exam
In any medical examination, the patient’s history and main concern can be the most important information. That’s why, for your examination, Dr. Ales allows for ample appointment time so you’ll receive thorough, thoughtful care for you and your family.
Checking for eye pressure, “the glaucoma test,” is now such an easy no stress experience for patients of all ages. Gone is our air puff tester, donated to Kenya Relief Medical Mission where Dr. Ales has gone many times.
Birmingham, Michigan is a shopping destination, no doubt, and is surrounded by some of the best medical care facilities, including eye care, in the country. Therefore, Dr. Joe Ales has remained committed to addressing his patients in a thorough, thoughtful manner much like days past, when you spent more time with the doctor, and less figuring your insurance, but with today’s technology.
Zeiss i.Scription® Techology
Optik has teamed up with Zeiss, an industry leader, who offers many new products including the i.Profiler® measurement tool to ensure the best results possible.
The advantages of i.Scription® include:
- Greater safety in situations with poor light
- Excellent depth of field
- Razor-sharp contrast
- Optimum lenses with special properties for conditions with reduced contrast, e.g. at night and in twilight
Read more here.
An all-day lens and coating solution designed for patients who need the most help with vision while driving. ZEISS DriveSafe’s unique technology addresses the most stressful visual challenges drivers face today.
- Co-management LASIK and cataracts, emergent eye care, and acute red eye
- Contact Lens Fitting – including specialty lenses for astigmatism or bifocals for adults and children.
- Computer Eye Strain – usually is caused by a multitude of factors. Those causal factors are investigated and remedies could be simple workplace adjustments, glasses, or both.
- Children’s Visual Development – continues from birth to about age 9, and eye muscle imbalance can be the main reason many kids have reading difficulties.
- Finishing Lab – Since we have our own finishing lab, that means we can make your glasses quickly and perfectly! When necessary be assured we use the best lab in the area. We remain committed to offering the latest greatest lens materials available. Also, we fill prescriptions from other doctors (all the time).
- Dr. Ales is available for urgent needs to treat eye infections, eye trauma like corneal abrasions, and to co-manage cataract surgery and LASIK surgery cases with area specialists from Oakland Ophthalmic Surgery in Birmingham and Troy.
Meet the Owner: Dr. Joe Ales
Dr. Joe Ales, owner of OPTIK Birmingham, has been practicing optometry since 1986. He graduated from Albion College and went on to study at the Illinois College of Optometry in Chicago. Here are Dr. Joe’s thoughts about our boutique and our eye care service:
“I have an artistic sensibility and so do the opticians at OPTIK. Our patients recognize that and feel confident in our ability to find eyewear that is perfect for them.
In my travels to Rome, Paris, London, Vienna, and other major cities, I check out optical shops. Many may have a hip decor, but amazingly, they tend to carry the same product you’ll find in an American shopping mall – boring and unoriginal. At OPTIK, we carry many contemporary frame lines you won’t find at the mall; many you won’t find anywhere else in Michigan! These frame lines are truly hand crafted, not mass produced, and extremely well made.
We are thankful to receive “Best of” awards from local magazines and mentions in Lucky Magazine and Vintage Magazine. Stop in and take a look!”